Monday, October 4, 2010

Gougeres

This gougere recipe is the best, most versatile one I've found. For example, instead of the Cheddar and pecans you can use blue cheese, rosemary and walnuts (this is the variation I brought to Jill's party), or simply go with a traditional Gruyere without nuts at all.

I always brush the tops of the gruyeres with a beaten egg before I sprinkle on the Paremsan. Also, the recipe notes that you can use a stand mixer but I never have. It's a bit of a workout by hand, but I think it keeps the dough from getting tough.

http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/cheddar-pecan-gougeres.aspx

The recipe makes a bunch, but that's a good thing because these freeze really well -- just heat them in a 350-degree oven for a couple of minutes or let them thaw an hour at room temperature.

No comments: